Introduction to Graphic Design –
Graphic design is the process of planning and projecting ideas and experiences with visual and textual context. The form of the communication can be physical or virtual, and may include images, words, or graphic forms. The role of a graphic design has changed over the years due to the rise of technology, internet and social media. Because of these things Graphic designers have a much broader platform and demand for their work. Graphic designers have always been around. Every advertisement you see, magazine, poster etc were all created by Graphic Designers.
Pentagram – “Pentagram is the world’s largest independent design consultancy. The firm is owned and run by 21 partners, a group of friends who are all leaders in their individual fields. We design architecture and interiors, books, branding and identities, digital installations, exhibitions, films, products, posters, and websites from offices in London, New York, San Francisco, Berlin and Austin.” (Pentagram Website)
Landor – “a brand consulting firm founded in 1941 by Walter Landor, who pioneered some research, design, and consulting methods that the branding industry still uses.Headquartered in San Francisco, the company maintains 26 offices in 20 countries, including China, France, Germany, India, the United Kingdom, Mexico, Singapore, Australia, Japan, South Africa, and the United States. Landor is a member of the Young & Rubicam Group network within WPP plc, the world’s largest advertising company by revenues. Landor’s work includes brand research and valuation, brand strategy and architecture, brand purpose and green design, corporate identity and packaging design, innovation, naming and writing, branded experience, brand equity management, employee engagement, and digital branding.” (wikipedia)
Description of Job Role –
Graphic designers need to be able to listen to their clients and fully understand their needs before making creative decisions. They will be working on a variety of products and activities such as websites, advertising, books, magazines, posters, computer games etc. You are to work with the client and develop creative ideas and concepts. the work demands peoples to have creative flair, up to date knowledge and a professional approach to time, costs and deadlines.
Skills Audit –
- Co-owner of a clothing brand which I have done different designs for, these designs have been selling and are now sold by a shop in Sheffield. This is a sign that there is a demand for the things that I design.
- I feel as though I have the necessary creative skills required such as the ability to work with and develop the ideas that a client may put forward to me.
- I am very proficient with Adobe Creative Suite which is the main platform that Graphic Designers will be using.
- I have an eye for what people will like depending on the target audience.
- I keep up to date on the latest trends and am always thinking of new ways to be original.
- Have experience with marketing and had to discover first hand how to make things sell and how to get things out there by using social media.
Skills I could gain –
Something which I have very little experience with is 3-D graphics and animation. These are the main two areas of Graphic Design that I have little experience with and I could do with expanding my knowledge in these areas. For this job ad it doesn’t say that these skills are needed but I know that these are skills that are necessary to be a complete graphic designer.
My personal action plan –
Career Choice(s) – Graphic Designer, Fashion Designer, Writer.
Target Grade – D/M
My course choices –
- Bath Spa – Visual Design and Creative Writing – DDM
- Sheffield Hallam – Graphic Design – MMM
- Uni of Worcester – Creative Digital Media – MMM
Work Experience – Design for my own independent clothing brand which is gaining popularity around Sheffield.
Designed posters and flyer for Sheffield bands.
Wrote player profiles for the Sheffield Sharks.